Here are the most valuable principles from Andy Stanley at Leadercast 2014. What questions do these raise for your organization? How about for your personal leadership?
Becoming A Beyond You Leader
- The goal for you today: Become a beyond you leader and create a beyond you culture in your organization
- Beyond You Leaders are those who fearlessly and selflessly empower leaders around them, as well as those coming along behind them.
- Fearlessly means you are not afraid of the 25 year old leader who may be smarter than you.
- Beyond you leaders ask, “How can I use my power to the benefit of the other people in the room?”
- The value of a life is always measured by how much of it was given away.
- If you don’t become a beyond you leader before you’re the boss, you’ll never be one after you’re the boss.
- If your leadership isn’t all about you, it will live beyond you.
To become a beyond you leader:
1. Make as few decisions as possible.
- Say, “You Decide.”
- As your organizational authority increases, your organizational IQ decreases. — The more you own, the less you know about them.
- Don’t confuse your authority with your competency.
2. Work for your team.
- Ask, “What can I do to help?”
- Find out the 1-2 things that you can leverage your influence toward to help the people you are leading.
3. Empty your cup.
- Pour into the people around you what you do know, not because it is all that there is to know, but because it is all that you know.
- You know more than you think you know.
Want to see other sessions from Leadercast 2014? You can find notes for all of them here.